Monday, February 26, 2007

Alive and well in Santo Domingo!


Meet Henry. He is the street vendor across from mi casa (my house). Very friendly and just tickled to have una gringa (white chic) smile and chat with him.

ok, so check that out! Wouldn´t the police have a heart attack in the U.S.?? This is just common. Little kids holding on for dear life to mommy or hanging out of open bus doors. I´m sure they never heard of car seats. The sadder thing is that medical care here is horrible. Only one hospital does trauma. And if u don´t have insurance, well you´re out of luck. ommmigosh and the hospitals? woah! They make Crouse´s employee bathroom look like the Hyatt honeymoon suite. I kid u not. I´ll try to get pics of what I mean, but I don´t know if they´ll let me. Stay tuned. Oh, and p.s. I have a Dominican Cell phone now. Of course I left the number back in my room which is 6 blocks away, but that´s the bad news. The good news is that I can receive unlimited incoming calls for free! So, if you have a good long distance plan or want to buy a carribean calling card, we can chat for free. I´ll post the number on the next blog.

Isn´t the local foliage beautiful! I stepped off the airplane, smelled the beautiful ocean air, a wave of heat instantly thawed my frozen bones. Ah!!! I CAN do this for a month. But, unfortunately, the Dominican is a country of stark contrasts: very rich and very poor, beautiful and ugly, and there is lots of trash. All over. Trash and half starved dogs. I am trying very hard not to look too close, so I won´t be able to see the critters y las cucarachas that I know must be there!

My class is hidden by the building on the left. It is directly across the calle (street) from the white building. It is in the Zona Colonial, in an impressively beautiful building in architecture and paintings.

Most everyone here is so friendly. These little guys begged me to take their picture. Note the wooden lunch boxes they are sitting on. All the little kids have them. Home-made. But hey, it works!

Above, there is fruit everywhere! This is one part of the Dominican I can get used to quickly. These bananas hang right outside my host family´s house. Note to self, don´t put a banana in your back pack to eat later, ever again!



Hi everyone! Fortunately, just before I walked into this internet cafe, I bumped into two 20 year old American girls. I was feeling very overwhelmed and homesick already. Wondering, what did I get myself into?!?!? But they assured me that feeling is normal. Both of them have been here since August. At their school, the only issues students have ever had is petty theives. So, this jives with what the professors at school have told me. Violent crime is pretty much unheard of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gracia, glad to hear you are doing well. If you post regularly (say every other day or so...) Then this could work. Otherwise, would you like me to call at all?


Take care.