Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dia de Independencia (Independence Day)


This is part of our American history. Here is one of he earliest Spanish fortresses ever built from the 15th century. It resembles the ancient buildings
in Jerusalem, doesn´t it?


The Plaza de Colon. The entire fortress seen in the background.


Fountain in the center of the coutyard at mi escuela.


Vendedores (Vendors).


Friendly games of chess litter all the streets and parks.


No estoy en Syracuse!


Even the babies got into the freedom celebration!

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjGWzucmKo0RyzaJASgj4554pXsd2aUV-BahJWdA_kHij99lwO84m9oskX_zluadBVUiEAxO34mA7t9hkaZbX1Y31uV204gJN3KV1ScJ0ru_zNKJSvLFADw_m9QQ90Gp9EZZiQkYqHlA8A/s1600-h/IMG_0128.JPG">

A view of the sea coast, atop an ancient colonial-day fortress.


A beautiful church, housing the remains of some famous Dominicans that I´ve never heard of.


A happy family on the street, riding home after celebrating Independence Day.


This is ¨Abuela¨, spanish for Grandma. I am staying with her. She is a very gracious host. Who can´t help but love such a smile? She goes out of her way to try to make me feel comfortable and provides me wonderful breakfasts like the one below and dinners like the one above. Each one has a special Dominican flair. Above was habichuellas (beans) with arroz (rice) and carne (meat) with Ensalada.


This was fruit (fresh pineapple and papaya) with leche, in the background, an egg and cheese omelet and pan (bread), in the foreground. Muy bueno!


Note the intricate paintings around the dooway, here. Mi professora, Daniella, is kind of hard to see, but she´s opening the doors to our classroom. She works with me for six hours a day, one on one. The program I´m in is rigorous, but seems GREAT so far. I never imagined such personal attention. The director, Rafael, works tirelessly to try to please each student and teach the best way possible for each one. Studying Spanish is like studying the Bible for me: The more I learn, the more I realize I don´t know.


This is the building that my school is housed in. It is very secure and beautiful, as you can see.


I was sure that I had heard roosters crowing this morning, from my bedroom, in the middle of the city. But wondered where they were kept. Here they are! Now I see where my fresh eggs are coming from each morning.


More flores bonitas (beautiful flowers) en route to school.


The local doctor and ambulance were on hand today, for the President´s visit during the Independence Day celebration. His procession drove right by where I was. There was a whole lot of ´´pomp and circumstance´´.


Stained glass window behind beautifully-crafted iron gate


A soldier at the Memorial Parque during Independence Day.


The lower apartment on the right is where I´m staying. We don´t have any screens on the windows. Because of Independence Day, I was awakened at midnight to deafening sounds like cannons right outside my window. Rumor has it that it was fireworks. I find it hard to believe, because those ¨fireworks¨ were the loudest I´d ever heard. All the car alarms in the vicinity went off several times until the ¨show¨ was over. I thought I´d woken up in Iraq!


Flowers that hang from a tree just outside my apartment. They drop petals all over the ground each morning.


Don´t be scared! No, I´m not going ¨Brittany Spears¨. I just thought I´d try braids because the weather is humid and I don´t even have a blowdrier for my hair. I learned why white people don´t wear braids like that! First they only last a short while in fine hair...and for all that pain?? No thanks! Second, our heads are white, very white, underneath all that hair. So, if you don´t want to burn and then peel and look like you have dandruff all day. Not a good idea. Lastly, it just looks like you´re trying to be something you´re not. I´ve decided to embrace my frizzy hair and just make do. Oh well. There are much bigger problems in the world!

I was unable to access the internet yesterday because it was a national holiday and everything except my classes, were closed. And then my camera ran out of battery power today. Otherwise, I would have alot more pics for you. I´m trying to weed through them and only put what might interest everyone.

2 comments:

bobg187 said...

what a fantastic adventure :) keep having fun grace :)

bob :)

Anonymous said...

Wooohoooo Grace....nice hair! At least you tried it, even though it's sounds quite painful. I miss you already. It is so great to be able to follow your adventure on here though. It is like I'm somehow there with you. I emailed Mimi the link too...she wants to follow it too! :) Take care