Thursday, March 1, 2007

Alot on my mind

I don´t have any pictures today. With all that I see each day, and the things I´ve been discussing with my professors, I have alot on my mind. I´m not sad at all, just pensive. We live in a land of opulence. Everyone we know has enough. Actually most of us have MORE than enough...which causes a problem too. But this country that I´m in is one of many. By far, not the poorest. Yet there are many many people here that need help. Need hope. And in the country adjoined to this one, Haiti. It shares an island with the Dominican, yet it´s people are suffering horribly. My teacher was telling me that he has visited there many times. There are many who are so poor they eat mud. They filter it through a screen to get out the pebbles and glass. They hold onto life by a skinny string.

From where you sit reading this, that (and other things that I could tell) sound so far away. They are hard to imagine. Here, I see it as a reality. In the faces of the poor. Yet what can I do? If I sold all that I have and gave it to the poor, it wouldn´t even begin to make a dent. My teachers and I have discussed this at great length today. We all agree, the answer isn´t joining the poor or even necessarily trying in some way to go and help. But having compassion as Jesus Christ did is a start. The bible says that His heart was moved with compassion for so many hurting people. What then can be done with this compassion? I don´t know. Maybe He will show me.

Tomorrow, I meet with the head of Compassion International in Santo Domingo. Please pray that all goes well. Don´t worry mom and dad, I´m not thinking that I´ll be leaving Syracuse to work there. I just want to know if I can or should do more somehow....someway.

1 comment:

Escape From Peoria said...

That is exctly what I felt when I was traveling this past summer. Since you've been gone, the passing of Anna Nicole Smith has continued to be the pressing issue of the week. Meanwhile, you're seeing what's really going on in the world. And you're right, that's not the worst of it, that's just the small glimpse you get to see and experience.
Our prayers are with you.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

-Margaret Mead