Friday, March 9, 2007

Los Tres Ojos...the three eyes

Wow! this is now the fifth time for me trying to write something for this entry. I officially hate computers...lol.


Los Tres Ojos received their name because from above they look like three eyes. But really, they are three caves with natural pools within. Here, the trees are reaching to the sky from far below.


This is a view of one of the natural pools from above. The foliage is truly very green, but the sun was beginning to set changing the colors all around.


stalactites and stalagmites, formed by thousands of years of drip, drip, dripping water. Makes me wonder what my faucet will look like in a few years if I don't get it fixed.


Up close to one of the pools. Note the clarity of the water. The water is very rich in minerals.


This is Roque, my guide. He is very mild mannered and helpful. He is the half brother of my director and protects me well. I call him Balboa, because he is so unlike Rocky Balboa!



The only way to get to the third and largest eye was from the 2nd via floating raft. Here we are in the raft departing for the other side.


The raft was moved via pulley system. We were moved by hand to and fro the 2nd and 3rd eye.


The foliage was beautiful and reminded me of church camp. Rumor has it crocodiles live in this lagoon. I didn't see any, although I did jump pretty high when a little rock fell in the water near me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to Los Tres Ojos when we were in the Dominican! How cool!! :) I'm glad you're having such a good time and learning a lot!