Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Las Comidas (the food) Aqui

At the request of some friends, I will tell more about the food here. For those of you who like to sample new things, the Dominican would be a great place for you. But it is definitely not for those with a weak stomach.


The basic ensalada served often with meals.


This is the standard dish: Arroz con Habichuelas (rice and beans)


This is Pasteles en Hojas. I'm not sure all that is inside. I guess I'd describe the insides kind of like a Dominican sloppy joe's with plantaines and various meats. A unique savor to be sure.


Now this is one of my absolute favorite dishes here. I kid you not. I've only found pescado (fish) cooked this well at Boca Chica (that beach I told you about before) Beware, though, don't eat the fish with the blue (or so I've been told).


Once you've chosen your fish and shooed the flies away, it is then covered with special sauces and breading and fried here.


For only 200 pesos (or $6) you get a delicious fish...which I tore up both times I've eaten it, with fresh avacado.


Plantains can be eaten several ways. The two most popular ways are (above) fried. When fried, they taste like a chip.


Or sweet, here. I prefer them this way.


A special sausage made here...meat crammed into pigskin. Often, it is eaten during special holidays like Christmas.


And for desert...how about a delicious cherry covered coconut blend?


Whatever strange foods I've tried, my favorite remains the fruits. Here a fresh plate is being arranged. mmmmmmm

1 comment:

Escape From Peoria said...

I LOVE FOOD!!!
Thank you, ma'am, for all of the pictures and descriptions of the local fare.
Poland has a similar fish dish which was just delicious!