Friday, March 9, 2007

Boca Chica, Una Playa (a beach)

I got a call in the middle of my class Thursday from the director. He said that he thought I needed a break from classes to go and see more of the sites nearby. What a relief!! I literally ran home from school to get changed and ready for my guide, Rocky, to meet me and take me there. That call was at 1pm.


At two thirty, we finally boarded this bus. I took a picture from my seat just hoping you all could get a view of what the inside of these bombed out, poor excuses for buses are. See the windshield, it wobbled in the brackets. Note the driver's seat. All of the bus looks like this. I hit my head three times on the top, getting in and out. The people are crammed in like sardines. But nobody refuses a ride even if the bus is packed, they just pack in tighter. Boca Chica is supposedly thirty minutes away. Well it took us markedly longer to arrive.



Finally, it's 4 o clock pm. We arrive in the little city of Boca Chica where all along the streets you can see things for sale. Here are paintings.


Ah....the beach! This journey was worth it after all. As any good tanner knows, 4pm is well after peak tanning hours (which are 10am to 2pm). But I don't care. I'm here and I brought a towel. I laid out for 1 hour just because I had come all this way. My poor guide of course had no desire to do so and waited a polite distance away under the shade of the palms.


An average shop/restaurant which lines the beach here.


The pier at Boca Chica.


No place in the D.R. would be complete without the fruit vendors. I love these guys!


I put this one in especially for Dad. My post card to you!


I wanted to climb up in this hammock and snooze.


Driftwood along the shore.


More bech vendors. These ones were selling clothing. Everything is for sale at this beach, and I mean everything. Women were giving backrubs, braids, dances, and much much more. Just name the right price. A sad truth for some people's survival here.


Local Cutie Patooties in the water.


Nearby the beach, local children play in a dirt park surrounded by barbed wire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, I envy you (in a good way??)How beautiful and desolate at the same time. What an experience. I enjoy your photography - but of course you have always loved the camera, some of these photos look as they should belong in a magazine, hmm another career you could conquer. Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience. Love in Christ, Joyanna